English Instructor: ILSC San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, 2017-2018
- Taught all levels of English to non-native speakers at a private language school.
- Designed lessons and activities for diverse students.
- Experience teaching English for Academic Purposes, IELTS preparation, conversation, vocabulary, English through social media, and more.
- Assessed students formally and informally.
- Participated in professional development workshops.
- Assessed speaking and writing levels for incoming students.
Program Coordinator: Monterey Bay World Language Project, Seaside, CA, 2015-2016
- Coordinated program providing professional development workshops to K-12 foreign language teachers.
- Managed communications and marketing for program.
- Wrote and edited social media, email blasts, newsletters, flyers and other promotional materials.
- Completed administrative tasks: mailings, copying, data entry, record keeping.
- Assisted with event planning.
Adjunct Lecturer: California State University Monterey Bay, Seaside, CA, 2014-2015
Courses: IEP (Intensive English Program) 701: Academic Writing & Editing; IEP 702: American Culture; WRT 95 – Integrated Reading & Writing; HCOM 211 – Reading, Writing, & Critical Thinking
- Taught academic writing and American culture for non-native English speakers.
- Designed student-centered activities.
- Assessed student writing and progress.
- Taught developmental writing and first-year composition course for undergraduate students.
- Participated in score-norming sessions.
Adjunct Lecturer: Hartnell College, Salinas, CA, Spring 2015
Courses: Eng 101 – Intermediate Composition and Reading; Eng 2 – Critical Thinking and Writing
- Taught developmental writing and second-year composition course for undergraduate students.
- Designed essay prompts and student-centered activities.
- Assessed student writing.
ESL Instructor: Solex College, Chicago, IL, Summer 2014
Courses: ENG 121 – English Composition; IEP Level 5 (Low Advanced) Listening/Speaking, Writing
- Taught an introductory college-level composition course for native and non-native English speakers.
- Taught listening/speaking and writing to low-advanced level non-native English speakers in an IEP setting.
- Followed course guidelines and objectives and designed supplemental activities/materials.
- Administered assessments on a monthly basis.
Essay Scorer: Educational Testing Service, project-based; 2010-2014
- Holistically scored student essays: California English Placement Test and Early Assessment Program.
- Participated in rigorous and ongoing calibration/training.
Lecturer: English Department, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA, Fall 2010; 2012-2013
Courses: ENG 214 – Second-year composition; ENG 310 – Second-year composition – multilingual
- Taught composition courses for undergraduate students – multilingual and native English speakers.
- Designed coursework, planned course reader, and wrote essay prompts.
- Employed student-centered activities for heightened student engagement.
Program Assistant: Composition for Multilingual Students, SFSU, San Francisco, CA, 2011-2013
- Wrote and edited program informational documents (internal and external communications).
- Generated and edited website content via content management system.
- Created and managed social media account.
- Executed administrative tasks: Processed evaluations; managed verbal and written communication between instructors, students, and department personnel; book orders.
- Assisted with administration of placement test for incoming multilingual students.
- Supervised work study students.
Online Adjunct Teaching Assistant: Ashford University, online, 2010-2013
- Provided feedback and grading for writing assignments in online courses.
- Utilized content management system for grading and communicating with students.
- Adhered to strict schedule and standards negotiating online environment.
Teaching Assistant: Composition for Multilingual Students, SFSU, San Francisco, CA, Fall 2011
Course: ENG 204 – Effective Literacy Skills for College – Multilingual
- Graded select written work of students in entry-level English course.
- Assisted students during in-class group and individual work.
- Met with lead instructor to discuss planning and grading strategies.
Conversation Group Leader: American Language Institute, SFSU, San Francisco, CA, 2011
- Facilitated informal conversation during weekly discussion with students in an intensive English program.
Online Writing Tutor: Smarthinking.com, online, 2010-2011
- Attained certification as “e-structor” with training in online evaluation of student essays.
- Read, commented upon, and evaluated all levels of student essays (high school to Ph.D).
- Adhered to strict time and feedback standards.
Adjunct Faculty: ESL Department, College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn, IL, 2009-2010
Course: Level 5 – Integrated Skills
- Taught intermediate-level English as a second language course to adults in a pre-academic setting.
- Designed syllabus and coursework in alignment with course objectives.
- Designed and administered multiple assessments based on current ESL research.
Adjunct Faculty: English Department, Columbia College Chicago, Chicago, IL, 2008-2010
Courses: 52-1151 Writing & Rhetoric I; 52-1111 Writing & Rhetoric I – Enhanced; 52-1152 Writing & Rhetoric II
- Taught introductory writing courses in the First-Year Writing program.
- Designed syllabus and coursework on essay writing and ethnographic inquiry.
- Participated in multiple faculty-development workshops.
Assistant Artistic Director, Story Week Festival of Writers, Chicago, IL, 2006-2010
- Co-wrote grant proposals for state and federal grant applications.
- Edited author and performer biographies for program.
- Assisted with writing advertising and marketing materials.
English as a Foreign Language Instructor: ALL Idiomas, Pomerode, Santa Catarina, Brazil, 2009
- Taught EFL at a private language school, all levels (beginning to advanced; children to adults).
- Planned lessons for both academic and conversation/business classes for 70 students across more than 20 (group and individual) classes per week.
Artist Instructor: After School Matters, Schurz High School, Chicago, IL, 2007-2008
- Taught journalism to diverse group of Chicago Public High School students.
- Planned lessons with a co-instructor.
- Edited and critiqued student work.
CA TESOL Graduate Student Forum presentation, Making Writing Visual, 2012
CA TESOL Graduate Student Corps Member, SFSU, 2011-2012
SHINE (Students Helping in the Naturalization of Elders), City Colleges of San Francisco, 2010
Vincent Costantino University Scholarship, San Francisco State University, 2011
Kohn Scholarship, San Francisco State University, 2011
Part-time Faculty Development Grant, Columbia College Chicago, 2009
Weisman Memorial Scholarship, Columbia College Chicago, 2005
Artist’s residency, Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, 2005
Getz Graduate Award, Columbia College Chicago, 2004
M.A. in English, TESOL concentration, San Francisco State University, SF, CA
Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA), St. Giles F
M.F.A. in Creative Writing, Columbia College, Chicago, IL
B.A. in Fiction Writing, Columbia College, Chicago, IL